Monday, September 10, 2012

It Always Was

Remember when you were a kid, and you did something cheeky and brave and wild, and you loved it? Then it became a theme of what you were known for and how you identified yourself. Then when your reputation for that style of life and views was solidified, say, in your twenties, you would look back on that memory and say, "See!? Proof positive. I have always been like this."

In a way it's true, but it speaks more to how we assimilate and process information than accurately assessing our histories. For every moment you spent acting cheeky and brave and wild, you matched in acting silly, or fearful, or uncertain. They just don't feel as true in the long run.

I wonder. What am I going to remember in thirty tears more, that will jump out at me and say, "See!? This is SO you!" I wonder if I can decide?




No comments:

Post a Comment