Friday, November 30, 2012

Flash Fiction Friday--End of an Era


 Everything Changes  
KRISANN GENTRY



"Are you sure you want to open that? Once you know, you can never go back."

"I have to know."

"Yes, but when? Now?"

"Why not now?"

"Why not in a day or two. Think about things first. Decide what you want, and what you'll do if it's not what you hoped."

"That's the difference between you and me. I don't start hoping until I know. How can I know what to hope for? Until I open it, there's just this big black hole of thoughts. It not only keeps me from making any progress with this, but it sucks in neighboring thoughts too, distracting me, keeping me form being productive at anything else! I need to do this."

"I guess we are different."

"You want me to open it but not tell you anything until you're ready?"

"No, I can't handle that kind of pressure. Not knowing is one thing, but not knowing and knowing you know? Insufferable."

"Fine. Do you need a minute?"

"Wait, now?"

"Yes, now!"

"...I'm ready."

"It's a girl."



Want to make one of your own? Next week's prompt is, 

"Figureheads of State."



No comments:

Post a Comment